Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sad news from the football world

I saw it this morning at work, and my heart sank a little bit.
Brett Favre will not be playing football next year.
Here's the article from NFL.com

My hope is that one of the following exists:
- That voicemail left on the ESPN guy's phone was not actually from Brett, but rather someone impersonating Brett.
- Favre's agent is lying

If not, I still understanding his reasoning.  He's tired, and he wants to spend more time with his family.  He's had to, to some degree, neglect his relationship with his wife and kids for 17 years.  When I was still touring, I made a choice to devote more of my life to the band instead of Heather, so I understand, even though our struggles weren't near the magnitude of this football great.  At the time, we weren't even married yet, let alone have kids.

I guess we'll see what happens in the coming months and see if changes his mind.  Ryne Sandberg did.  So did MJ.  We'll find out when the season starts.

1 comment:

Steve Newman said...

I hope Favre changes his mind. Yeah I'm a little selfish if it means neglecting his family more, but they should just pull the kids from school and go on the road with him this fall. Maybe the school would make an exception. I think Green Bay could make it to the Super Bowl next year, but without him I don't think they have a chance. I'm going to miss the gunslinger.