Sunday, March 23, 2008

Studio Drumming?

Last weekend, after the last Riv service, someone came up to me and asked if I've ever done studio work. Apparently this guy owns a recording studio and was wondering if I'd be interested in recording whenever necessary. I told him I thought it was a great idea, but mentioned that because of my full-time job and being in two of the Riv bands, I had no idea when I'd ever have time to do something like that.

I've thought about being a studio drummer before. Having been in 6 bands (not including the current ones) over the 11+ years I've been playing drums, I've had my share of recording sessions and experiences in the studio.

A lot of doubts and fears have sprung up over time. Among them include:
- I haven't had any professional training, education, or instruction.
- I don't know how to read percussion sheet music.
- I can't compete with other studio drummers who have had experience in the previously mentioned items.
- I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd have to quit my job and possibly move far away.

And I think the biggest fear is that, like being in a band, you don't always know when your services are needed, and steady income is pretty much not possible. Additionally, if something happened to me physically, such as breaking a limb, I'd be out of work for an extended period of time. Not to mention, I'd have to figure out how to pay for health insurance (unless Heather continues working after having kids) so that it doesn't cost a fortune to fix my supposed broken limb.

All of the above reasons keep me at this current place. And I'm ok with that. Are they legitimate enough reasons? Some are, and some feel like material, earthly reasons. Will I ever change my mind? Maybe. But right now, I'm content.

No comments: