Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Some month #2

Last month, I found out that my car is terminally ill.

I was convinced that the oil problem was just a fluke, but thought I should probably check my oil periodically just to be sure. About 2 weeks after my last oil change, I checked the oil while getting gas. I had lost 2 quarts of oil. &!$#&!*$^@#@!

I ended up doing the Fuel Pressure Check that was recommended to see why the catalytic converter died. Everything tested 100%, which means my fuel system is in top condition. I also asked the mechanic to find out why my car was burning so much oil. He told me that the problem was internal to the engine, basically stating that I would likely need major engine repairs. #$$&$*%%^%$^#!!

My car is definitely burning oil, not leaking it. The end of my exhaust pipe is black from all the soot caused by the burnt oil. THAT is why the converter died. A few days later, I took the car to a guy I know that owns a body shop, had him take off the converter, and replace it with a straight pipe. No sense in spending $200 on a converter that would have died within months.

Last week, I called the Toyota dealership to see if there was a recall for this type of engine problem. Nope. It happened because of infrequent oil changes from a previous owner. Toyota mechanic said the car would likely need a "ring job" which would cost around $1500.

I called another mechanic today to get another opinion. This person told me that I would probably need more than just a ring job. He said I could possibly need, at the least, a partial engine rebuild. At that point, I might as well rebuild the entire engine or find a different one. He's going to call me back tomorrow to give me a quote on a used/rebuilt engine.

I cannot afford to replace the engine, so for now, I'll just put a quart of oil in my car every week, and hope that the problem doesn't get any worse. Spending $2 extra per week on oil is much more feasible at this time.

DO NOT EVER buy a car without getting an inspection - I'm an idiot for not getting one in the first place. You wouldn't ever buy a home without an inspection. Learn from my mistake, please!

No comments: